Start with some scrap wood. I found these in a little garbage pile next to a new home being built in my area. Paint them orange then sand around the edges. Then I cut some 2 inch medium thick branches off my tree. Glued them to the top and wrapped around some green fabric, raffia, and wire I had in my craft closet. (I think the fun part is just using things you already have around the house.) Ta-Da! Wooden pumpkins!
Saturday, July 3, 2010
- 1 funkin (faux pumpkin). I bought 3 different sized white ones at Michaels with a 40% off coupon for the large one. The orange would be okay too. Gourds would be a fun twist.
- 1 can of Metallic Finish spray paint (Mine was from WalMart - Rust-oleum Bright Coat/silver). It takes way less than a full can.
- 1 nearly empty can of Rust-oleum Universal Satin in Brown Hammered (or see instructions for another option).
I sprayed my pumpins with the silver paint. Spray generously. If there are drips, they're unseen and towards the bottom.
Do not let silver dry - go directly to next step. My can of metallic brown was nearly empty, so it was sputtering which was perfect. I spritzed "spots" on top of the generous wet silver paint. So, both paints sort of blended. Let dry. All done! (Email me pictures! I'd love to do a slide show!)
(Note: I also tried white paint instead of the brown hammered, but it didn't give me enough contrast or the look that I wanted. If you can't "spritz/sputter" the brown...maybe try splattering with a toothbrush and metallic brown craft paint. You will have tons of paint so experiment to see what works best to achieve the look you like).
I love my shiny faux mercury glass pumpkins. They change in different lighting. It's so easy! Let me know if you give it a shot! I'd love to see how yours turned out!
It's a cutie!... This is what I did...
I purchased a 1x8x4 at Lowes and a large square dowel...
I also purchased a small craft circle...
My first step was to cut the dowel. I cut it about 11" long. I then used my Gorilla Glue Epoxy to attach the dowel to my wood circle.
I then cut my 1x8 10" long. I used the epoxy to attach the 1x8 piece to the front of the dowel.
Then I let it dry a bit...
I used my drill to put a hole in the top for the finial.
And here is was ready for paint!!!
I painted that with Rustoleum American Accents Heirloom White spray paint. After that was dry I started working on the next step.
I decided to shanty the edges up a bit with my sander and a bit of Minwax Dark Walnut stain...
I then added a bit of Ralph Lauren Smoke Glaze... You guys know the routine!!
I found this galvanized roof flashing at Lowe's...
I cut a piece just a bit smaller than the plaque I attached to the dowel.
I then used my epoxy again to attach the metal to the plaque to the wood piece. I added a silver nail in each
corner for a bit of shanty-ness!!
Now for my magnets... I used the same super cute Fleur-de-lis wood pieces that Ash used on a previous procect. I painted and glzed them the same and then used some Gorilla Glue to attach the magnets.
All finished... Now it just needs a great recipe...